Monday, March 2, 2015

How to Renew Your Car Registration at LTO (Philippines)

I just wanted to share my experience on our car registration renewal. If you're interested to know about driver's license renewal, you can check out this post: How to Renew Your Driver's License.

Earlier today, my brother had his car registration renewed at LTO. I tagged along since this is the first time that we were having the renewal. Typically, a brand new car is registered for the first three years (so you don't have to worry about registration renewal during this period), after which renewal is due every year.

THE SCHEDULE

The most important thing to find out if you're due for renewal is the schedule. I asked the staff at LTO and they said that your plate's last digit is the basis for the month of your renewal:
1 January
2 February
3 March
4 April
5 May
6 June
7 July
8 August
9 September
0 October

As for the week that you're due to renew, it would depend on the plate's middle digit:
1-3 1st week
4-6 2nd week
7,8 3rd week
9,0 4th week

For example, your car plate is ABC 123. The last digit is 3, which means that the month is March. The second digit is 2, which means the week is 1st. Hence, the deadline for renewal is 1st week of March.

Take note that if your renewal is late, you need to pay P200 extra for each week that you are late. If you are late by a month, then you will have to pay 50% extra of the total amount.

WHAT YOU NEED

-photocopy of OR-CR (wouldn't hurt if you can also bring the original)
-your car
-money
-smoke emission test result (can be taken at LTO)
-CTPL insurance (can be taken at LTO)
-stencil (will be taken at LTO)

THE PROCESS


We went to LTO Manila South District Office near PureGold San Andres since that is where we originally had the car registered.

LTO Manila South District Office
First off is the car's smoke emission test. There are two privately-owned emission test centers available inside the LTO compound. One is Pearl Orient Private Emission Testing. The other is Protection Emission Testing Center. We went with the latter just because it was nearer the entrance. We were asked to present a copy of the OR-CR (original or photocopy is fine). We were charged P400 for their service. We had to wait around 10-15 minutes for this.

Smoke Emission Test receipt
Afterwards, we went to get Compulsory Third-Party Liability (CTPL) insurance, also available within the LTO compound. We were also asked to show a photocopy of the OR-CR. We had to wait around 30 minutes (because there were a lot of people in LTO earlier today). We paid P1,060 for this.

CTPL Insurance from LTO
Next, we took a stencil application form from the Public Assistance and Complaints Desk. An LTO staff assisted us with the filling out of this form (for free). This took about 5-10 minutes.

There were really lots of people at LTO today.
No noon break.
Finally, we submitted everything to Window 8 for processing. Since there were lots of people today at LTO, we had to wait almost an hour just to be called to Window 9 to pay. The total amount was P2980 (inclusive of P450 for the new plates which were out of stock at the time). I think the amount would also depend on the car type. Ours was an SUV. By the way, if you transferred to a different LTO branch than the one where you initially registered, you would have to pay extra P100.

We had to wait about 10 minutes, then our new OR was released at Window 10. The new plates were still out of stock and we were given a landline number to call after 45 days to check for plate availability.

So, after paying P4,440 and spending almost two hours at LTO, we were able to renew our car registration at last. It wasn't really too difficult.

EXTRA NOTES

I have also heard about what they call "three-fourth" or "3/4", wherein you don't have to renew your car's registration. Instead, you can have your 3-year car registration extended. Kind of weird, but yes, it is possible, because I personally know someone who has had this done. Of course, this is only applicable to cars in their THIRD year of registration, but have not yet reached their 36th month.

For example, your car (with plate ABC 123) was bought and registered on July 2012. Since you are due to renew on the 1st week of March, but have not yet reached your 36th month (you are currently on the 33rd month), you can have registration extended, and you only have to pay 3/4 of the total amount. Plus, you don't have to undergo the smoke emission test.

Instantly, you save around P1,000! Your next renewal would be due the following year (just as if you had your car's registration renewed). I'm not sure if this is applicable to those who are transferring to a different LTO branch though, because the staff have to manually locate your files.

For more information, you can contact LTO Manila South District Office at (02)528-4682.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hope my post helped somehow. Feel free to share your LTO experience. :)

35 comments:

  1. This is some incredible information for those who are looking for the best way to keep your car up to date on the registration. I personally have never been to the Philippines, but it sounds like it just takes a little understanding to know when you need to be re-registered. Something that stands out is that you mentioned how to read the numbers that share when you need to get the registration renewed. Thank you for sharing. http://www.barattaenterprises.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this info! I've been meaning to get my car registered for a few days now. I just bought a new one, and I haven't gotten around to registering or insuring it. Thanks for letting us know that usually brand new cars are registered for about 3 years. That's convenient; at least once it's out of the way, I won't have to worry about it again for another few years.
    Megan | http://www.registryunlimited.com/services.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your article. I'll be renewing my car's registration this March. Your post is very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I just would like to know if someone can renew my car's registration on my behalf? Will there be other documents/authorization letter to be presented?
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you'll need to be present. Some (or most) of those renewing their vehicle registration are drivers or hosue help of the actual owners.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What if you have a car and that car was stock for ten years i mean u didnt use it for a long time obviously didnt register every year. So i need to pay the full amount for ten years plus the 50% late fee?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What if you have a car and that car was stock for ten years i mean u didnt use it for a long time obviously didnt register every year. So i need to pay the full amount for ten years plus the 50% late fee?

    ReplyDelete
  9. how about I bought my car in september 2014 but my plate num.is aag 9863 when I will renew my registration? my sticker is 2014,2015,2016...

    ReplyDelete
  10. how about I bought my car in september 2014 but my plate num.is aag 9863 when I will renew my registration? my sticker is 2014,2015,2016...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Make sure with your Dealer on which LTO location did they register your car. There is confussion going on with the new white plates being not the same with lto stickers. If you have the new white plate you maybe scheduled to renew in March 8, 2018

      Delete
  11. Nice post, btw panu kung meron akong comprehensive insurance? kailangan ko pa din bang bayaran yung Compulsory Third-Party Liability?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, TPL always there :( weather you like it or not you need to shell out money for TPL :((

      Delete
  12. Pls. Need help, i was planning to buy second hand car, plate # LGC 551, sedan(toyota corolla),registered in region 12,need to know if there is any issue on this. How much i would pay to update the registration, registered last 2011. Thanks in advace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about for 2nd hand car? Are the process, fee at requirements the same?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. May iiissue pa rin po bang bagong CR upon renewal of registration? Or bagong OR lang? Salamat po.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great and yet very inspiring it taught me more styles in writing. Nissan 370Z Ironman Car

    ReplyDelete
  17. big help heheh kaso diba 4 numbers na ang plate number? exam AAY 4107 kailan ko po irerenew? binili po ung car ng brand new ng Dec 2014.thanks po

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, thank you so much for thisharing info. I will renew my car instead but in Cebu and I have an idea of how.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Day to all!, Question lang po.. medyo nalilito kasi ako...
    bumili po ako new car. registered Nov 2014. plate is ABC1264..
    kelan po ako dapat mag renew ng registration? Maraming salamat po!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello ,my or will expire on june 24,2017,but the last two digit of my plate number 10,so it means last week of sept i should renew.but is there no problem if imrenew on sept but my or expires this june

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your blog.hope you could answer my question as it will save me time

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like to verify when will I need to register my car
    I got it last 2015 August my plate is ending 02, do I need to register it this Feb 2018? the car 3rd year will be on August 2018?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there! You can do the extension trick mentioned in the post. But to be safe, better renew on Feb 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am regular to check every post of this blog as well as its other supportive and knowledgeable informative blog post. I appreciate efforts of owner to deliver such valuable information to people.เลข ทะเบียน รถ เสริม ดวง

    ReplyDelete
  25. This blog is really helpful for my database. It enhanced the area of my thoughts and pushed me beyond the boundaries. Work ethic of every point is different and represent a new way to improve myself.จอง เลข ทะเบียน รถ

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for your articles that you have shared with us. Hopefully you can give the article a good benefit to us. Dmv hours San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  27. As we see with the information above, there are best ways to use your money for your CTPL insurance. You are required to get a CTPL insurance for your car. So remember to use this info above when you need to purchase a package. Check this out for getting a CTPL insurance https://www.ecomparemo.com/vehicle-insurance/ctpl

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for your articles that you have shared with us. Hopefully you can give the article a good benefit to us. 1970 State Exempt California License Plate

    ReplyDelete